St Laurence O’Toole
Founded in 1910 at 100 Seville Place in the heart of inner city Dublin, and currently based in the outer suburb of Tallaght, Co.Dublin. In 1910 a meeting was organised by the St. Laurence O'Toole Gaelic Athletic Association Club in the CBS school,Seville Place,Dublin.The main mover in forming the band was Frank Cahill. Frank was for many years an Alderman of Dublin Corporation,and later a member of the new Irish Parliament (Dáil Éireann).Amongst those present at the meeting were Pádraig Pearse, Thomas Clarke, Sean McDermott, Arthur Griffith, Douglas Hyde (later to become the first President of Ireland),and the famous Irish playwright, Seán O'Casey.The first Secretary of the band was Seán O'Casey.The first President of the band was Thomas Clarke.Casey acted in many plays staged by the St.Laurence O'Toole Dramatic Society to raise money for the band .Michael Colgan (later a Senator) was the first Pipe Major. In 1918,the HQ of the band in 100 Seville Place,Dublin were acquired by the band.